Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What is the latin translation of the following phrase "In loving memory of my sister"?

My sister passed away from Ovarian Cancer at the age of 25. I want to get a tattoo in her memory,

so I'd like to ask some experts how to translate "In loving memory of my sister" into latin.What is the latin translation of the following phrase "In loving memory of my sister"?
"In memorian amantem sororis meae" Literally, this means "INTO loving memory," but "in memriam," rather than "in memoria," sems to be the way it's always written.



I'm very sorry about your sister! What a terrible thing to happend to someone so young!



Edit: "Amans" (accusative "amantem") is "loving." "Amata/amatam" is "loved."What is the latin translation of the following phrase "In loving memory of my sister"?
"In memory of my sister" is "In memoriam sororis meae" - the "meae" can be omitted, as I believe that it is obviously implies.



Now, classically, there is no "in LOVING memory" in Latin, but I have seen "amatam" used for that. If you use that, although it is not necessary, it would be:



In memoriam amatam sororis meae



Here is a version reflecting the unnecessary words:



In memoriam [amatam] sororis [meae]



I hope that helps!



EDIT - Thanks for the note, Aida. Mind the typos, though :P



She means "memoriam" - blazing fingers and possibly a sticky keyboard caused a typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment