Friday, January 27, 2012

Can someone do an accurate English to Latin translation?

I don't trust free online translators and I was hoping someone could help me translate " Life is more than the sum of its parts" to Latin. I was hoping it turned out pretty so I could turn the quote into a tattoo.

Let me know if anyone has a good idea for a pretty font too.Can someone do an accurate English to Latin translation?
magis quam summa partium est vita



I would suggest that word order too, it sounds pleasing to the ear and is stylistically good Ciceronian Latin.



For a font, why not use a genuine Roman one...see how it looks on Trajan's column:



http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/ency鈥?/a>



if you scroll down you'll see a picture. Bear in mind that the Romans of that period would often leave out the spaces between words in inscriptions. I don't suggest that, it would be difficult then to read, even for a classicist. You can use caps or small case as you choose, but if you want to be historically accurate, use all caps.

No comments:

Post a Comment