Friday, January 27, 2012

English to Latin translation/ Is my translation correct, structure and conjugation wise?

Here what I try to translate from English to latin:

Never cease to search / (my translation) Numquam non desinere quaerere

I’m not sure regarding the negative form of the sentence, but to support it I added “non” to cease, however where I need help is regarding the part “to search” which I simply translated to “quaerere”.

If you are well versed in Latin, I’m looking forward for your correction.

ThanksEnglish to Latin translation/ Is my translation correct, structure and conjugation wise?
You can't make a negative command in Latin by using the imperative form + a negative word..There are three choices:



Noli desinere quarerere. - Noli + infinitive

Cave desinas quarerere - Cave + present subjunctive

Ne desiveris quarerere - Ne + perfect subjunctive.



You could stick an 'umquam (ever)' in there, but that construction was not used in Latin.English to Latin translation/ Is my translation correct, structure and conjugation wise?
Why not take advantage of the fact that Latin has a perfectly good selection of verbs meaning "to cease"?



Nunquam cessa quaerere.

No comments:

Post a Comment