Friday, January 27, 2012

What is the latin translation for 'be a better person/men '?

is there an exact latin phrase for it?

online english-latin dictionary says exsisto a melior alio

is it correct?

hope some pros could help me out thanks a lot!What is the latin translation for 'be a better person/men '?
Using the subjunctive (sis/sitis) supposedly works in this case, as it would say: let you be a better man/better people. However, it's a second person subjunctive verb, and I would stick to the imperative. For example, "Meliores simus," says, "Let us be better."

Naturally, there's the imperative form to be used. Melior es. Meliores este, for more than one person.

I personally actually like the subjunctive as opposed to the imperative for this particular case, but you should choose based on what kind of voice you want to have. Subjunctive has that "let us, you, etc." voice, such as "let us love" or "let us be better." If you want to have an instructive voice, as if you're telling someone to be better, use the imperative. "Be better," flat out.

Homo and homines can be removed, melior/meliores does all that work. But that sounds casual. You're asking someone to be a better person, so I would keep homo and homines. Leaving it out makes it implied and leaves it up to context. A general could be instructing his men to be better soldiers, as such.

I'm favorable to using esto in this case, though. The Idaho state seal is Esto perpetua, meaning, "Let it last forever." The Knights of Columbus use "Esto Dignus" as a motto, meaning, "Be worthy." It's future imperative and more empathetic.

Homo melior esto. [Let you] be a better person.
Homines meliores estote. [Let you] be better people.

My response to Nick's edit:

Let me elaborate. Someone asking for a translation probably doesn't understand the difference between the imperative and the subjunctive voices in the Latin language. Imperative is a direct command and subjunctive as you used it is a iussive statement, translated with "let" being a key word in the translation, not a flat out "be."

That's why I said I would stick to the imperative if a verbatim translation was wanted. Personally, I'm partial to the subjunctive that you used, though. I was simply offering the imperative alternatives and clarifying between the differences.

As for the use of esto, it does remove ambiguity but it's a stronger, more empathetic form of the verb than es/este. Concerning the translation in question is asking someone to make a change, I believe it's a perfectly appropriate alternative.What is the latin translation for 'be a better person/men '?
Nope, that isn't right.

I would suggest:

Sis homo melior - Be a better person
Sitis homines meliores - Be better people

"Homo" and "homines" can actually be dropped, if you want.

Edit:

"[...]I would stick to the imperative. [...] I personally actually like the subjunctive as opposed to the imperative for this particular case [...]"

You seem to have a hard time making up your mind on this :p

For the imperative, "esto" is often used instead of "es" to avoid ambiguity. In such a short phrase, I would do that... or avoid all complications and use the subjunctive, as I have.

Edit 2: Ah, I see what you're saying.What is the latin translation for 'be a better person/men '?
Sis homo melior - may you be a better man

Sitis homines meliores - may you better men/people



Sis vir melior - may you be a better man

Sis viri meliores - may you be better men

No comments:

Post a Comment