Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Can Someone please help me with a english to latin translation?

I want to get a tatoo of : Let him who is without sin cast the first stone in latin or

to thine own self be true....

translation much appreciated!!!!Can Someone please help me with a english to latin translation?
1. Qui sine peccato est vestrum primus lapidem mittat.



2. Fidelis tibi sis. (This means literally "May you be faithful to yourself." The actual word for "true," "verus," means true mainly in the factual sense--not a lie. And the second person singular imperative is the same as the indicative. "Fidelis tibi es" could just as easily mean "You are true to yourself.")Can Someone please help me with a english to latin translation?
Permissum him quisnam est vacuus sin iacio prothoplastus calx in latin vel ut macies own ego exsisto verus.Can Someone please help me with a english to latin translation?
Alright, my grammar isn't perfect, but the other translation is just wrong. That translator is particularly bad, it does absolutely nothing with grammar, and EVERYTHING in the question is included in the translation, including the "in latin or" part. It says, literally, as far as I can tell:



Allow (him isn't translated) who is empty (not translated- sin) I throw the first man lime in latin or so as to poverty (not translated-own) I exist proper.



To you yourself be true: Tibi ipsi dic verum (Lit. To you yourself say the truth) or Tibi ipsi esto fidelis (Lit. To you yourself be loyal/true). The second is a better translation, in my opinion. The first seems to me more like "Be honest to yourself". Fidelis is the root of the word 'fidelity', true in the sense of 'faithful', whereas verum is 'true' as in the opposite of a lie.



As for the other, that's longer and I'll have to translate all of it myself because I can't find anything online, so there's certainly room for error... the best I can come up with is: Primum saxum ab viro puro iacendum (Lit. The first stone by a blameless/pure man should/must be thrown, or, in more natural English, the first stone should/must be thrown by a blameless/pure man).



You could try sending it in to the website I looked at to find the first one, I'll list it in the source, the translations they give look right to me, and they're generally better than anything I can come up with. I just learn Latin as a hobby...
  • this works
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment