Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What is the latin translation for "god bless and protect my family"?

Getting tattoo done tomorrow (Wednesday 3rd August 2011) and would like to see if anyone can confirm if I have the right translation.



Deus benedicat et protegere familiam meam



Hoping it reads as 'god bless and protect my family'What is the latin translation for "god bless and protect my family"?
Considering the original English is "God bless and protect my family" and not "God, bless and protect my family", then perhaps:

Deus familiam meam benedicat protegatque

The above means "(May) God bless and protect my family". The two verbs are in the present subjunctive rather than in the more direct imperative mood. There are plenty of precedents for "God bless" being translated as "Deus benedicat".

Deus = God (nominative of Deus, God)
familiam = family (accusative of familia, family)
meam = my (accusative feminine of meus to match familia)
benedicat = may bless (third person singular present subjunctive active of benedico, I bless)
protegat = may protect (third person singular present subjunctive active of protego, I protect)
-que = and

Done with a basic knowledge of Latin.
Deus benedic et protege familiam.(meam)



The vocative singular for 'deus' is up in the air. following the norms of the declension, the form should be 'Dee,' but that is not attested in classic Latin. The Vulgate uses 'Deus' for the vocative, and that at least was the Christian usage.



The imperative form for 'dicere' is irregular - the typical conjugation would be 'dice,' but the form used was 'dic.' That applies to its compounds also, so the imperative of benedicere is benedic.



The 'meam' (my) could be omitted. It's not wrong to include it, but it would be assumed to be the speaker's family, and Latin tended to not use words that were readily understood.



What you have for your verb forms is a mix of present subjunctive (benedicat = he (god) may bless) and infinitive 9protegere = to protect).What is the latin translation for "god bless and protect my family"?
i'm not entirely sure, but i don't think it's completely accurate, it reads as "god blesses and to protect my family." "bless" is sort of like a command so it needs to be in that case... so i think it should be "benedictate," the same with protect i think it should be "protegete"

but don't trust me, i'm no latin expert i'm just trying to remember what i learnt last year...i'm not sure so get a second opinion! :/

sorry i can't be more help...What is the latin translation for "god bless and protect my family"?
Deum benedicite et defensores quaesitum.
the right translation is

Deus, benedic et protege familiam meam

No comments:

Post a Comment