Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What is the Latin translation for, Life is more than merely staying alive?

I'd like to get this tattooed on my side or back and I would like to know if what I have is right or not. The translation I found is "Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est".What is the Latin translation for, Life is more than merely staying alive?
That's a decent idiomatic translation. It literally says "life is not to live, but life is to 'live strong'" That "live strong" is "valere"--it just means to be strong, powerful, hold up against adversity.



Here's my more concise, aphoristic translation: "vita magis (est) quam vivus manere"

literally "life (is) more than staying alive" (the verb "is" is usually left out of sentences like these--I would leave it out). Also, it sounds better without the "merely"; it comes across in the Latin anyway, even though it's not there.



So, "vita magis quam vivus manere"



oh yeah, and if you are female, it should be "viva" instead of "vivus", so

"vita magis quam viva manere"



I really like it, I'd get that tattoo. Good luck with that! And by the way, you can trust my translation, it's correct (and, may I say, elegant). Let me know if you get it!What is the Latin translation for, Life is more than merely staying alive?
think very carefully about this one



if you and your man break up, you'll have that around your ankle to always remind you that he drew it for you





but anyway,,, your body



my suggestions- get the stars filled in but leave the moon just in outlineWhat is the Latin translation for, Life is more than merely staying alive?
http://www.freetranslation.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment