Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Latin Translation?

I am looking to honor my brother with a tattoo and looking to translate this phrase or similar phrase into latin "Protect me my fallen brother" if anyone knows the latin translation for this , or a similar latin phrase that would be appropriate I would be very greatful. thanks!Latin Translation?
There are various verbs in Latin for "protect." It really depends on what you mean. From what you wrote, it seems that your brother has passed on? If the idea is sort of like a guardian angel, or someone watching over you from heaven, the verb you are looking for is "tueri" (that's the infinitive form). The imperative form (that's what you're looking for) would be "tuere."



As for the direct address of your "fallen brother," this is known as the vocative. Brother is "frater." "Fallen" really depends on how he died, which I would not ask, but you really need that information to get the Latin right. There are many verbs in Latin for different types of dying (early or timely, physical accident or sickness, accidental death or murder, and other distinctions), and these would all affect what adjective you would use for "fallen." I hesitate to provide a single word.



In the phrase "protect me," me is the object of the verb protect, which in Latin calls for the accusative, which, in this case, happens to be spelled the same as in English: "me" (with a long e).



Latin word order is your final consideration. There is a clear word order that you should use:



me tuere, frater "fallen"



You can omit the "me" if you want, since it's implied. I don't think a Roman would include it. It's more concise and pithy that way. In fact, the verb tuere implies the fact that your brother is no longer among us. So you can take out the adjective, clearing up the problem of which adjective to use.



So, in my professional opinion, were I getting such a tattoo to honor my own brother, it would read



tuere, frater



("watch over me, brother")



This is the beauty of Latin. It conveys so much meaning in so few words. The connotations of the above phrase are vast. I would certainly consider the phrase worthy of being marked permanently on someone's body. If you do decide to get it inked, have it written exactly as above: no capitalizations, no long marks , and just the comma as punctuation. That is the best way to do it.



The above phrase is very inclusive, and covers just about any situation that I can think of that might be the case for you. I hope this has been a help to you.Latin Translation?
Um... not totally sure... it should be an easy thing to translate, but I'm silly that way! :D



defende me, frater meus casus

Or protege me, not sure which to use...Latin Translation?
if you type 'latin' and 'transltor' into google you will find websites that can do it for you. they are easy to use.
  • printer cartridge
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment