Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Can someone help me with a Latin translation?

I am having trouble understanding a part of my Latin translation, I am in Latin I so it shouldn't be too difficult.

ōlim, Juppiter īrātus Phoebum Apollinem ad terram mittere in animō habet; fīlium pūnire cupit.

I think that is the only part that I am having a problem with. Any help at all would be totally awesome. Thanks!Can someone help me with a Latin translation?
"Once, angry Jupiter intends to send Phoebus Apollo to earth; he wants to punish his son."



in animo habere (+ infinitive) = to have in mind; to intend



Phoebus Apollo is Jupiter's son. He's Apollo in his role as the god of the sun. In case that sounded confusing!



"Juppiter iratus" in English would be something like "Jupiter, who was angry..." or "Jupiter was angry and...." But in your first year, it's better to not stray far from a literal translation.



Just FYI: Sometimes Latin uses the present tense to make a story more interesting. We do the same in English, but at least we try to be consistent! Here, because of "olim," which implies that what follows happened in the past, the verbs could be translated in the past tense. But do *not* do that now. Just be aware of it.Can someone help me with a Latin translation?
http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exempli_gra…

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.htmlCan someone help me with a Latin translation?
It should be translated as:



Once, an angry Jupiter in pride casts Phoebus Apollo to the earth; he wants to punish his son.



A trick to any translation is locate the verbs first -- in this case, habet, cupit, mittere and cupit -- they will help point to the subject and the object of the verb. Then try and work out the cases of the nouns. And remember that many latin words have large numbers of definitions, so you have to choose the right one in the context.

No comments:

Post a Comment