Friday, February 3, 2012

What is the Latin translation of this phrase? "I have no need for dignity"?

I'm trying to translate this phrase to Latin: "I have no need for dignity".



I've had a go at it, and the vocabulary seems along the right lines but I'm not convinced by the grammar: "Ego nihil indigeo pro dignitas".



I'm also trying to translate "How dare you be so rude" and have managed to come out with "Quam audere vos exsisto sic rudis?"



Would really appreciate some help from someone who has studied a little Latin!What is the Latin translation of this phrase? "I have no need for dignity"?
The basic phrase is one of the following: opus non mihi %26lt;genitive%26gt; 'There is no need of dignity for me'

%26lt;accusative%26gt; non requiro 'I do not seek out/need dignity'

%26lt;ablative%26gt; non indigeo 'I do not need/require dignity'



The word for dignity is potentially problematic in this sentence. Latin has a number of different words that could be used, but have slightly different meanings, and frequently different meanings from the English derived from them. A number of possibilities, with genitive, accusative and ablative in order depending which sentence above you choose:



honoris/honorem/honore: marks of esteem, reasons for honour, grace/dignity

decoris/decus/decore: glory, distinction, dignity/virtue, decorum/grace

gravitatis/gravitatem/gravitate: gravitas, weight, dignity, 'airs and graces'



I would avoid using the word dignitas (following the above pattern dignitatis/dignitatem/dignitate). It suggests more worth/excellence or high social standing rather than being decorous, which is at least what I think is your intention here.



My own choice would be honore non indigeo, but it is up to you.



Edit: Regarding the second sentence. The question word for how is usually quomodo (literally 'in what way), while the word for you dare is audes. I would include the word esse here, meaning to be; it is probably not strictly necessary, but because the main focus of the sentence is that you are being rude, I would keep it in for emphatic effect. So rude is tam %26lt;rude%26gt;; again, there are a number of possibilities:



petulans: impudent, petulant

contumeliosus: insulting, outrageous, rude, abusive

insolens: insolent, arrogant

crassus: rude, harsh, gross, stupid, crass, insensitive

improbus: wicked, morally unsound, rude, shameless



The three ending -us are masculine, so if addressing a female it has to be changed to -a (eg crassa). The natural word order would be quomodo tam improbus esse audes. However, for emphatic effect, I would leave so rude to the end, making that particularly strong in the sentence as a whole. For example, quomodo audes esse tam improbus?



Of the words suggested, I would probably use improbus, though it may be slightly strong for you. All of them are entirely applicable, depending on your preferred nuanced meaning.What is the Latin translation of this phrase? "I have no need for dignity"?
I would say "Nullum opus gravitate mihi est" or "Opus gravitate mihi non est." (Although the genitive for the thing for which there is need seems logical, according to Cassell's New Latin Dictionary that construction takes the ablative or even the nominative.)



For the second, "Quomodo audes tam crassus [or "crassa" if you're speaking to a woman, or "insolens" for either] esse?" Or you could put "esse" after "audes" to emphasize the word you choose for "rude."What is the Latin translation of this phrase? "I have no need for dignity"?
Dignitas non requiro.



keep it short and clear - it's too easy to fall into the habit of using too many words, on the pattern of English - let the endings do the work for you. And you don#t need 'ego' the verb is in the first person singular, so it contains 'I '



Take your second one - if you're using audere, to dare - 2nd conjugation - then 'you dare' is either audes (sing) or audetis (pl) - you don't need to put in a pronoun, it's in the verb. re 'rude'I think I'd go for insolens, or you could say rusticus, and imply that they're a country bumpkin. Don't just take the first word the dictionary offers you - perhaps you want quomodo? rather than quam ...

No comments:

Post a Comment