Friday, February 3, 2012

What is the Latin translation for the word "produce" or "productivity"?

If "reductio ad absurdum" means "reduction to the absurd," would "PROductio ad absurdum" mean "PROduction to the absurd," in the sense of being extremely productive? If not, what's the closest thing that works with this little word game I'm playing.What is the Latin translation for the word "produce" or "productivity"?
Your thinking seems to be satisfactory or better, it seems to me. Though I might choose a different way to say the same thing, I don't see anything wrong with "productio ad absurdum" unless it would be the following (and this is pretty picky and a bit " absurd" if you will. ... I admit it.):



"reduce" is from the Latin for "lead back" whereas "produce" is Latin for "lead forward". (Stay with me here.) If "ad" means "to" or "toward" and "ex" means "from" (which it does), might it also be rendered as "exductio absurdo" (leading from the absurd). The alternate spelling is because "ex" requires the ablative?



Just another absurd thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment