Monday, February 6, 2012

What is the Latin translation for "“For those that I love, I surrender all things.”?

I know that "Eis quos amo" means, "For those that I love"



but, I'm planning on getting it tattooed on my arms/wrists and I obviously don't want a typo.. as a tattoo.What is the Latin translation for "“For those that I love, I surrender all things.”?
'Eis' might work, but perhaps:



Illis quos amo omnia trado.



Panton does show up in Medieval Latin, but is listed as uncommon there. Why one of those online translators picked such an inaccurate word is a mystery.



Another mystery is how someone who studied Latin for six years would not know that 'omnia' translates to 'all things.'
Eis quos amo, omnia trado.



For those whom I love, I surrender all things.

I did not find panton in my Latin dictionary, and the -on ending is a Greek form, as Elise has pointed out. Yet it is the word given by that awful online translator when requesting a Latin translation. "Everything" and "all things" in Latin are the same word - omnia.



I agree with Tom, illis is a better word choice, but I just used what you had already been given. Eis really means for them, not for those. I also agree with Tom on omnia - I myself was wondering why someone with six years of Latin was using an online translator at all. They cannot even handle first year Latin! Someone with a Latin dictionary has no excuse whatsoever to even use one, as they are (as demonstrated by panton) not even good for vocabulary. They don't decline nouns or conjugate verbs, so they are no good at all.What is the Latin translation for "“For those that I love, I surrender all things.”?
so then pleaseplease don't trust any answer from Y!A, but ask a professor from the university or a latin teacher, because you never can be sure here.

E.g. I'm pretty sure that the word "panton", which is mentioned by my fellow answerer, is the romanized version of the Ancient Greek term for everything (and if used, it should be "panta" IMHO). The latin word should be somthing with "omnia" ore the like.What is the Latin translation for "“For those that I love, I surrender all things.”?
freetranslation.com says I surrender all things = ego trado panton



In response to the person who answered me, I took latin for 6 years and I did look it up in a Latin Dictionary. The translation I gave is "I surrender everything" There is no translation for "all things"

No comments:

Post a Comment