Monday, February 6, 2012

English to Latin translation: "Grateful for every moment" ?

I was wondering if anyone with a solid Latin knowledge could help me out with this one? I want to translate "grateful for every moment" (as in "I am grateful/thankful for every moment") into proper Latin. I've already found that online translation sites aren't the way to go, as I have gotten at least 4 different translations. I appreciate the help!English to Latin translation: "Grateful for every moment" ?
The above translation is almost perfect. "Ago gratias" is the most common idiomatic expression for giving thanks, but the construction takes a dative object. Although in English we say "FOR every moment," in Latin the endings of the nouns/adjectives contain the part of speech so the preposition is at best unnecessary and at worst incorrect Latin.



And so, a more correct way to express this in Classical Latin would be:



Omni momento gratias ago.English to Latin translation: "Grateful for every moment" ?
Pro omni momento gratias ago.

1 comment: