Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is the latin translation of "to protect steadfastly"?

I keep finding various translations and I need the real translation. Anyone a latin professor?|||Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "the real translation" of a word or phrase from one language into another, which is why you have chanced upon different Latin versions of the original English. Even a Latin professor could only offer an opinion, not a definitive answer; Latin isn't arithmetic, with just one possible answer!



I would suggest the following:



constanter protegere

tenaciter protegere

constanter tueri

tenaciter tueri



Third-conjugation verb protego means:

1. I cover

2. I protect

3. I defend



Second-conjugation deponent verb tueor means:

1. I look or gaze at, behold, watch, view.

2. I care for, guard, defend, protect, support.

3. I uphold, keep up, maintain, preserve.



Adverb constanter means:



1. firmly

2. steadily, constantly, continually

3. resolutely

4. evenly



Adverb tenaciter means:

1. clingingly

2. tenaciously

3. close-fistedly, *********, stingily

4. firmly, steadfastly, persistently



As you can see from the above, the English words "protect" and "steadfastly" cover one range of meaning, while the Latin approximate equivalents cover another range, with some overlap. This is the bane, and the challenge, of the translator's craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment