Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Help with Latin translation: Is there a general rule for word placement within a sentence?

Going through my Latin curriculum, I got stuck on this sentence. "Itaque post vict艒ri膩s R艒m膩n艒rum pr艒vincia in Galli膩 est." My tentative translation is "Therefore after the victories, the Romans' province is in Gaul."


My problem is that I don't know the rule for telling whether the Romans are possessing the victories or the province. Also, is my translation correct?|||It's more likely the victories than the province that "Romanorum" refers to. Genitives more often come after the nouns they're "of" than before. So I'd translate that sentence as "Therefore after the victories of the Romans, there is a province in Gaul." (In other words, after winning some battles, Rome now owns a piece of Gaul.)

No comments:

Post a Comment