Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is the correct Latin translation for "eternal life"?

I'm writing a novel, and I need some sort of catchphrase to one of my villains. However, it has to be in Latin, since the guy is kinda old-fashioned.





I want the phrase to be "Eternal life!"





I've been looking through the Internet translators and some of 'em say that the Latin translation is "aeternam vitam", some say, "eternus vita".





I'm confused. What is the correct, and most accurate Latin translation of "eternal life"?|||I would say "vita aeterna." In Latin, the adjective has the same gender and case as the noun it modifies, and it normally follows the noun. "Aeternam vitam" has the first two, in the accusative case, but not the preferred order. "Eternus vita" mixes genders, and the first word is misspelled. "Vita aeterna" is in the nominative case, which would probably be best if you want the phrase to be an exclamation.|||Both of your answers are good. both "vitam" and "vita" mean life, but "aeyernam" means Eternal and "Eternus" Means everlasting. So i'd probably stick with "Aeternam vitam" if I were you. Please choose my answer, i need to get more points for my account, Thanks.|||lol, it's "vita aeterna".. in latin the ending of the word changes with its function in the sentence.. your vitam aeternam is the object form, and vita aeternus is a male adject referring to a feminine (vita) word. That's how online translators work.. they know the word, but not the case or form you need.|||Hello,





Vita eterna.





Cheers,





Michael Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment