Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is the Latin translation for passion, empathy, and emotion?

I cant seem to find the Latin translation for these words, and I dont want to trust a latin translator, as I know latin has to do with context. So can anyone help with my question?





What is the translation for passion ? ( as in passion for life)


What is the translation for empathy?( as in the ability to feel for others and understand what they are feeling)


What is the translation for emotion? (as in feelings...such as anger, love, sadness, happiness...the overall general word for emotion)





Thanks!|||Wow, I definitely wouldn't use impetus (which means attack or assault) or emovere (meaning to move away). Here are more common words:





Passion: cupiditas (kind of connected to love, passion as in enthusiasm or eagerness) or affectus (more like passion for a person)





Empathy: empathia (misericordia is more like sympathy)





Emotion: affectio (mental condition/feeling, although sensus does work as well).





***Note to Bix: I think empathia is an acceptable translation of empathy. It derives from the Greek word 峒愇枷€维胃蔚喂伪 (empatheia). The only trouble is that in Greek, that word can mean passion as well. It's tricky coming up with Latin equivalents for modern ideological concepts, but I think empathia works in this instance (I really think misericordia is more like sympathy, but I undertand why you might use it).





As to cupiditas, I guess I think that passion in English is supposed to convey a strong desire for something. Like I said earlier, however, she could use affectus instead.|||passion: passio, passionis, f.





empathy: I would translate it with misericordia, misericordiae, f.





emotion: sensus, sensus, m.





@Lusa Naturae:





You are right about "misericordia" but I guess there is no Latin expression for empathy. Also the expression "sympathia" doesn't mean sympathy but "natural congruence" or "natural connection".





And isn't cupiditas too extreme?|||Passion- Impetus


Emotion- Emovere





About the word empathy, I am not really sure. Empathy is similar to sympathy is almost exactly like the word empathy. In Latin, the word sympathy is...





...Sympathia





So, I am assuming that the word empathy would be something like...





...Empathia?





Maybe?





Hope I Helped!


xD

No comments:

Post a Comment