Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Is this the correct Latin translation of the serenity prayer?

I plan on getting the serenity prayer tattoo in Latin. I have my reasons for the it. Anyway I want to be sure the translation is correct. This is what I have -





Deus, dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum mutare, fortitudinem mutare quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere.





Is this right?|||Close, my friend. But a bit of grammatical fixes need be done. Also, maybe a different word choice.





Deus, mihi dona serenitatem ut accipiam res quas mutare non possum; virtutem ut mutem eas quas possum, et prudentiam ut discernam differentiam.|||Yes, that is all conjugated and declined correctly. The word order is definitely more English than Latin, but that does not mean that it is wrong, as Latin word order is very flexible, just that it is麓not the way an actual Latin speaker would write it. It looks fine to me, and though I am far from an expert, I have been studying Latin for 6 years and it is one of my majors in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment